ASCU building on Fort Huachuca celebrates turning 100 years old!
Building #41331 on Fort Huachuca celebrated 100 years!
American Southwest Credit Union’s Fort Huachuca Branch currently operates in Building #41331 on Fort Huachuca and there is something extra special about this building, this year……it is turned 100 years old!
The ASCU Team on Aug 8th @ 10:00am celebrated this event with a Ribbon Cutting Ceremony including the Sierra Vista Chamber of Commerce, Fort Huachuca Garrison Commander Col. Wright, Sierra Vista Mayor Rick Mueller, ASCU Board Members & Staff and Members of the credit union. We worked with the Historical Museum and Public Relations Office on Post to gather a timeline of the building as well as some ASCU history.
See our Facebook page for the event details here.
Click here for more history on how ASCU got it’s start!
And check out the photos from our celebration here.
Built in 1917, as a radio station, the historical photographs show that the building also functioned as a Western Union Telegraph Office at the time. The steel radio towers were dismantled between 1942 and 1945 when scrap iron was in high demand during WWII. In the early 1950s it was briefly operated as a Baptist Mission church before becoming a bank operated by First National Bank of Arizona.
By the way – Did you know that American Southwest Credit Union’s first location was on Fort Huachuca and known as Huachuca Federal Credit Union? Yep!